Name is Autumn. 23 y.o. NorCal. Birth Doula, Fat Acceptance Activist, soon-to-be-graduating college student.
I had an unexpected 2 free hours to myself today! I suppose I could have used those hours to get caught up on homework, but instead I watched home birth videos and ate cold Chinese food and got all emotional reading new stories on the Birth Without Fear blog :’} Yay for taking some time just to relax!
Some of the dangers of glorifying obesity may include:
- Young girls might not fear getting fat more than they fear nuclear war, losing their parents, or cancer.
- Fat people might no longer be at an increased risk of having their illnesses (including cancers) misdiagnosed or diagnosed late, by doctors working in a medical community in which disdain for fat bodies is rampant, or given the wrong dosages of medicine — both of which can cost millions in unnecessary tests and prolonged treatment.
- Eating disorders — which admittedly are not exclusively about weight but which are cultivated by a culture that identifies fatness as a failure of control — might no longer be a central feature in the lives of 10 million Americans.
- We might not have a weight loss industry that generated $60 billion in revenue in the United States last year, mostly by making women feel like crap about themselves.
- Fat people might not have to worry about whether seats on airplanes or in restaurants or basically anywhere they go can physically accommodate them.
- Dudes might not yell at me in parking lots.
- Fat people everywhere might develop a powerful self-respect, and demand respect from others, and might be less likely to suffer bullying and shaming in silence.
- Fat people might not be so handy for scapegoating, schadenfreude and cheap laughs, or as a means by which others can feel superior.
- People of all sizes might feel better about themselves, because no one would be wasting energy and focus worrying about what would happen to them, how their life would be ruined, if they became fat.
The amazing Lesley Kinzel
http://www.xojane.com/issues/the-problem-with-glorifying-obesity (via fatstrawberries)
have u ever noticed how if u add the word “fat” to things they instantly sound cuter
I laugh whenever guys are like “I wouldn’t date a fat girl.” I wouldn’t date you either stop flattering your damn self
Fat babes gotta stick together.
Take no shit.
Call out problematic behavior.
1st, have a donate button on their blog and
2nd, post porn and naked selfies 85% of the time?
I just…. cant
I’m an FA and I don’t have either, but like, why would that bother you in the least??
We need to find each other and group hug. ✨💕
Yep yep yep :)))